HRMT 4333 Compensation and Benefits Fall 2015
Job Description Assignment (INDIVIDUAL) 10%
Using the template below, write a job description for ONE of the following positions. You may use the Internet to obtain and use sample descriptions but be sure to amend these so that they match the template. Do NOT just copy and paste a JD from the Internet!
- Bank teller
- Elementary school teacher
- IT Helpdesk assistant
- Marketing assistant
- Office assistant
- Computer programmer
- Hotel receptionist
- Accounting clerk
- Security Guard
The template below, from www.hrcouncil.ca, provides the major categories that you should include in your job descriptions along with an explanation of what to include in each category.
JOB DESCRIPTION TEMPLATE (www.hrcouncil.ca)
|Job title||The formal title of the position|
|Reports to||The title of the position that the job incumbent reports to|
Provide a brief description of the general nature of the position; an overview of why the job exists; and what the job is to accomplish.
- The job purpose is usually no more than four sentences long
Duties and responsibilities
List the primary job duties and responsibilities using headings and then give examples of the types of activities under each heading. Using headings and giving examples of the types of activities to be done allows you to develop a flexible job description that encourages employee to ‘work outside the box’ and within reason, discourages “that’s not my job”.
- Identify between three and eight primary duties and responsibilities for the position
- List the primary duties and responsibilities in order of importance
- Begin each statement with an action verb
- Use the present tense of verbs
- Use gender neutral language such as s/he
- Use generic language such a photocopy instead of Xerox
- Where appropriate use qualifiers to clarify the task – where, when, why or how often – for example instead of “greet visitor to the office” use “greet visitors to the office in a professional and friendly manner”
- Avoid words that are open to interpretation – for example instead of “handle incoming mail” use “sort and distribute incoming mail”
State the minimum qualifications required to successfully perform the job. These are the qualifications that are necessary for someone to be considered for the position.
All qualifications must comply with provincial human rights legislation.
- Specialized knowledge
- Other characteristics such as personal characteristics
- Professional Certification
If the job requires a person to work in special working conditions this should be stated in the job description. Special working conditions cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, shift work, working outdoors, working with challenging clients, and so forth.
If the job is physically demanding, this should be stated in the job description. A physically demanding job is one where the incumbent is required to stand for extended periods of time, lift heavy objects on a regular basis, do repetitive tasks with few breaks, and so forth.
List by job title any positions to be supervised by the incumbent.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Place your order now to enjoy great discounts on this or a similar topic.
People choose us because we provide:
Essays written from scratch, 100% original,
Delivery within deadlines,
Competitive prices and excellent quality,
24/7 customer support,
Priority on their privacy,
Unlimited free revisions upon request, and
Plagiarism free work,