Interview with a Nurse Leader
Your Name: Date:
Your Instructor’s Name:
Directions: After completing your interview, you must use this form to submit your assignment to the Dropbox. You may use the form to capture information as you conduct your interview, or fill it in later. The form is expandable and will enlarge the textbox to accommodate your answers. Do not rely only on this form for everything you must include! Please look in Doc Sharing for specific instructions in the Guidelines for this assignment.
Criteria Fill in the answers in this column.
Indicate 2 scholarly resources or texts used prior to the interview to familiarize yourself with the individual’s organization, role, or any of the questions you plan to ask that will make you a more knowledgeable interviewer. Resource #1:
Resource # 2:
Demographics: Provide initials, credentials, job title, and length in present position of the registered nurse interviewee. Include the date and time the interview was conducted. Provide a working phone number for instructor follow-up if needed.
(Ask the interviewee about EVERY topic in this section)
Scope of responsibility: Major responsibilities, direct reports, and operational budget
Organizational mission, vision, values, and beliefs
Strategic planning related to ONE core competency (name the core competency)
Role of BSN-prepared nurse to support the strategic plan
Practice Impact Question
(Reflect on the interview afterwards to ask yourself this question and provide it below.)
How does completing this interview impact your practice as a BSN-prepared nurse? Give specific examples.
Interview with a Nurse Leader:
The following is the purposes of this assignment:
• Discuss the roles and responsibilities of a Nurse Leader in a selected healthcare organization.
• Review the organization’s mission, vision, values, and beliefs.
• Discuss the Nurse Leader’s strategic plan as it relates to The Institute of Medicine’s Quality initiatives and ONE of the following five core competencies.
1) Provide patient-centered care
2) Work in interdisciplinary/interprofessional teams
3) Employ evidence-based practice
4) Apply quality improvement
5) Utilize informatics
• Conduct a core competency-focused interview with a Nurse Leader.
• Articulate the role of the BSN-prepared nurse to support the strategic plan related to selected IOM core competency.
• Articulate what was learned from time spent with interviewee and how own nursing practice will change as a result of the encounter and completion of this assignment.
This assignment is worth a total of 200 points.
1. Download the NR447 Interview Form from Doc Sharing. It is found under the Week 6 Interview link.
2. Select your interviewee, schedule and conduct an interview. This individual must be a Registered Nurse employed in a leadership role. Job titles of RNs who may be considered include, but are not limited to: Chief Nursing Officer, Vice President of Nursing/Patient Care Services, Director of Nursing, Associate/Assistant Director of Nursing, Nurse Manager, Patient Care Manager, and Department Head/Director who has RNs reporting to him or her. If you have any concerns about whether the RN is “suitable” for this assignment, contact your instructor BEFORE you schedule and conduct the interview.
3. Review all areas of inquiry on the Interview Form located in Doc Sharing PRIOR to conducting the interview. You may print the form and take it with you to the interview. However, you may not give it to the individual and ask him or her to complete it and return it to you.
4. Note there are five areas of inquiry to discuss with the RN/Nurse Leader.
5. Prior to conducting interview, review two scholarly resources related to the ONE aforementioned core competencies upon which you plan to focus. These resources should guide your interview process and understanding of the Nurse Leader’s role and responsibilities as it relates to the selected core competency. If you have questions about what constitutes a scholarly resource, please ask your instructor.
6. Prior to interview, review the organization’s mission, vision, values and beliefs.
7. Note that practice impact must be addressed by YOU.
8. Conduct the interview. The length of your interview will vary but should not exceed one hour.
9. Submit the form to the Dropbox prior to the deadline outlined above.
Category Points % Description
Scholarly Resources 20 10% Name two resources reviewed prior to conducting interview related to selected core competency.
Describe how each resource helped student prepare for and conduct interview.
APA formatting for two resources is correct.
Demographics 10 5% Initials, credentials, job title, and length in present position of interviewee are provided. Date and time of interview are provided. Working phone number of interviewee is provided for instructor to follow-up if indicated.
Scope of Responsibility 30 15% Provide a paraphrased or summary of the interviewee’s answer indicating major responsibilities and number of direct reports (staff who report to him/her). Indicate total operational budget for which interviewee is responsible. You may quote the interviewee, but sparingly. Do NOT provide a verbatim transcript of everything that was said. Bulleted items may be used.
Mission, Vision, Values, and Beliefs of the Organization 30 15% Provide a paraphrased or summary of the interviewee’s answer. Do not quote from the website. Use the leader’s interpretation of these. You may quote the interviewee, but sparingly. Do NOT provide a verbatim transcript of everything that was said.
Bulleted items may be used
Strategic Plan as it Relates to ONE Core Competency 30 15% Name the core competency. Provide a paraphrased or summary of the interviewee’s answer about how the core competency is incorporated in the unit, department, and organization’s strategic plan. You may quote the interviewee, but sparingly. Do NOT provide a verbatim transcript of everything that was said.
Bulleted items may be used.
Role of BSN-Prepared Nurse to support strategic plan as it relates to the same core selected 30 15% Provide a paraphrased or summary of the interviewee’s answer about the role of BSN-prepared nurses to support strategic plan as it relates to selected core competency. You may quote the interviewee, but sparingly. Do NOT provide a verbatim transcript of everything that was said.
Bulleted items may be used.
Practice Impact 30 15% Summarize specifically what you learned from interaction with interviewee. Describe how your own nursing practice will change as a result of learning about roles and responsibilities of interviewee, the core competency, and completion of this assignment.
Scholarly Writing 20 10% Name of student and date of interview appears on Interview Form. Punctuation and sentence structure are correct. Evidence of spell and grammar check. Resources are formatted according to APA.
Total 200 points 100% A quality assignment will meet or exceed all of the above requirements.
Place your order now to enjoy great discounts on this or a similar topic.
People choose us because we provide:
Essays written from scratch, 100% original,
Delivery within deadlines,
Competitive prices and excellent quality,
24/7 customer support,
Priority on their privacy,
Unlimited free revisions upon request, and
Plagiarism free work,