Instructions: Review the following case study patient details
Mr. W is a 25-year-old male who was in a drug rehabilitation program last year. He has been admitted to the hospital with a history of weight loss, weakness, and intractable diarrhea. His height is 70 inches and his weight has dropped from 180 lbs. to 110 lbs. He is also suffering from fever and night sweats. Physical examination reveals swollen lymph glands, tongue lesions of herpes simplex and ulcers in the perianal region. Further tests indicated depressed T-cell levels and the presence of Pneumocystis carinii. He was tested for HIV infection and the blood test for HIV infection antibodies was positive.
While in the hospital he developed several other symptoms: anorexia, fever, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, watery diarrhea, and fecal incontinence. His temperature was 103°F (39.8°C) and was treated with antibiotics to which he did not respond. The amount of diarrhea increased markedly, necessitating intravenous hydration. He developed esophageal candiasis and a duodenal infection.
The patient did not tolerate a soft diet or nutritional supplements, continued to lose weight, and had severe anorexia, abdominal cramping, and bloating. Nutritional assessment was deficient in all aspects, showing a decreased BMI, decreased muscle mass, and depleted total protein and serum albumin.
1. In which stage of HIV infection would you categorize Mr. W?
2. Name and describe the major clinical complications in the final stage of AIDS and explain how these complications profoundly compromise a patient’s nutritional status.
3. What should be the goal of nutritional therapy based on assessment data and the patient’s history?
Kaplan University School of Health Sciences
Unit 6 Assignment
4. Utilize your critical thinking skills to determine the most appropriate route of feeding to administer nutrition support. Defend your choice with evidence from the patient description and the knowledge you have gained regarding alternative feeding routes.
5. Working with patients who have HIV can include a number of sensitive issues, including patient confidentiality, integrity and ethical issues, and social responsibility. Explain how you would deal with these issues as you attend to Mr. W.
6. List several nutritional supplements that might be used to alleviate some of Mr. W’s symptoms and increase his caloric intake when he is able to tolerate a diet again.
7. Write a Nutrition Care Plan/Chart note on the HIV patient that addresses the patient’s current clinical situation. Write this note as though you were a nutrition professional caring for this patient in a hospital setting. Please refer to Table 11-3 and 11-4 in your textbook for information on the ADIME chart note process. Requirements Paper format: Answer questions numbers 1–5 in a 2–3 page paper using APA format and citation guidelines. Include a title page, introduction, body, conclusion, and reference page. Include number 6, the Nutrition Care Plan/ Chart note, as an appendix. Be aware that the title page, reference page, and appendix/chart note DO NOT count towards the 2–3 page minimum.
Please organize your paper in the following paragraph format. Please see KUs Writing Center for more information regarding essay and paragraph format.
Section 1: Introductory paragraph (incorporate your answer to question 1)
Section 2: Body paragraph(s) (incorporate your answer to question 2)
Section 3: Body paragraph(s) (incorporate your answer to question 3)
Section 4: Body paragraph(s) (incorporate your answer to questions 4-5)
Section 5: Concluding paragraph (incorporate your answer to question 6)
Appendix: Nutrition Care Plan/Chart note (question 7) References: Include a minimum of 4 quality references. Your textbook may count towards this requirement. You can use reputable websites or other textbooks/ scientific or medical journal articles. Please use APA style citations within the paper itself and also on the reference page. See
Place your order now to enjoy great discounts on this or a similar topic.
People choose us because we provide:
Essays written from scratch, 100% original,
Delivery within deadlines,
Competitive prices and excellent quality,
24/7 customer support,
Priority on their privacy,
Unlimited free revisions upon request, and
Plagiarism free work,